Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How To Avoid Procrastination


Every student has experienced some degree of procrastination at some point in their lives. Procrastination is the number one reason why my homework doesn't get done. This is likely true for a lot of people. For those of you who don't know, procrastination is when you put something off to the side thinking you will do it later but you never do. It's worse on weekends because on Friday no one wants to do work right when they come back from school. On Saturday you say you going to do it but it still never gets done. Sunday rolls around and you might get caught up in something. 



One way to avoid procrastination is just to make a plan. When you come home from school you should plan out what you going to do. For example, my plan for today was to watch TV until 4 (I come home at 3). After I surfed the web until 6. By 6 it was dinner time and I ate and did some chores around the house until 7. At 7 I said I was going to do all my online practice quizzes (Since finals are coming around). Finally at 8 I would start my homework until 10 and then I would go to sleep. It is better to write your plan down on a piece of paper and make sure you keep checking what time it is.


Having the right mindset can help you conquer procrastination. Just keep in mind that doing your homework now will give you the freedom to do whatever you want later. Also, if you have a big test coming up you should study a little bit everyday instead of cramming the night before. This is called the Spacing Effect and it is proven work better than cramming the night before. The same goes for projects. Doing a little bit of your project everyday will keep the tension off you of doing it the night before. By the time it is due you won’t even know that you finished it!

No comments:

Post a Comment